The Environmental and Occupational Health is essential part of health care system in Oman. Environmental and Occupational Health Department was established for the purpose of studying and evaluating the environmental and occupational hazards that affects human health and to implement the necessary preventing measures to protect from encountering the related diseases.
It consists of the following sections :
Occupational Health Section
Occupational Health Section is integrated in the structure of Environmental and Occupational Health Department. It aims to reduce occupational death, injures and illness and promote health in the work place through a comprehensive national plan that focues on providing occupational health services for all workers in Oman.
The main functions and role of this section are:
- Occupational diseases and injuries Surveillance .
- Provide essential package for occupational health. services (primary prevention of occupational health and safety, early detection, diagnosis and treatment)
- Develop of human resource in occupational health and safety throughout the country.
- Promote practice of health promotion at work place and prevention of occupational injuries and diseases.
- Conduct worksite risk assessment and work hazard evaluation for all industrial enterprises in Oman.
- Conduct research in OH.
Poison Control Center (PCC)
The Poison Control Center was established to provide updated information on the national and international issues related to poisoning, chemical safety and environmental health.
Its role and functions are the following:
- Support patient management
- Poisons information services
- Analytical toxicology service
- Coordination with other agencies
- Drug information
- chemical accident preparedness and response
- Toxico-vigilance and prevention
- Environmental toxicology
- Training and research
Water and Sanitation Section
This section is concern about :
- The Surveillance of water borne diseases
- Test bacteriological and chemical
contamination in water sample
- Design prevention program for
water related diseases
Health Impacts Assessment
This section has a technical and advisory role related to health impacts assessment. Evaluation of HIA of developmental projects and policy is done by cooperation with all related ministries.
Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion
This section is dealing with activities related with injury prevention and safety promotion. Its main role and functions are:
- designing a surveillance system for injuries to evaluate the cause and type of injury and the needed preventive measures.
- conducting research related to injury prevention and safety promotion